Saturday, February 14, 2009

Progress report - Matt Jenkins

Thought you may like to see a couple more pics. I wanted a new hatch but have never been keen on the opening 'tailgate' look. I think chopping a hatch into the body looks ugly. So, after much thought I have had a new rear window made from 5 mm glass. Then I glued a piece of 4 mm mdf around the edge and took a fibreglass mould of the window. Now I have glassed the mould into the car, 12 mm deep to allow door rubber to seal the rear window.The hatch is glass only now, with a 4 mm gap all around to clear the body,and is flush with the body. I have a hatchback that looks like fixed rear glass.


Also you might like the billet fuel filler under the rear window in the middle of the car.
Did you notice I elongated the side guard vents?? I think they look better a bit longer. Factory ones look too short for the wide guard panel..........well that's what I thought anyway.

4 comments:

John L said...

Those fuel fillers look good. They are hugely expensive though. The ex-Peter Jones Nagari has an identical one and when it was living here I unscrewed it and promptly misplaced it. In panic I sussed out the importer/distributor, checked the catalogue and even though I had an account began panicking again after seeing the price. Luckily the original turned up soon after. Just a little blood pressure test.

I agree, the original Mark 7 side vents look a bit ordinary (the Nagari ones are OK). Yours are a great improvement.

Anonymous said...

That's a neat job on the rear window, Matt. What will you use for hinges? RX7 type?
I'm also a fan of large round tailights. What ones do you plan to use?
The car is going to be a credit to you, I'm sure.

MK7 said...

not sure on hinges yet, maybe make them from a block of aluminium on the CNC mill, so i can have them just how i want and unique....

MK7 said...

The fuel filler was bought 3 years ago by a friend who never used it, still sealed in the original package, he donated it to the build... he did say it was VERY expensive when i bought it....
tail lights will be 4 matching LED lights, hard to explain, but they have an ugly plastic chrome ring around them, i will replace them with polished alloy ones off the lathe.