Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Kombi lights - an email from Peter Marr

G’day John Christine & Mark Wells’s Mk7 sport in Vic has these lights too (pretty burgundy coloured car ex Paul Smith) personally I think they are a little too big for a mk7, I think they make the rear look a bit out of proportion but each to their own. When I was doing my Mk7 I looked at lots of different tail lights ( trying to find something that suited the car but couldn’t be instantly identifiable as being from something else, if that makes sense). At that time my body was off the chassis and upside down in the shed . This meant that I couldn’t get any further away from the back than about 1 metre. Anyway I decided that lights from the last rear engine Kombi (T3 Kombi ?) were “the” light. (later model kombi light than in Peter Kordic’s car, larger with square corners) Anyway I bought a pr of said lights and fitted them up in the car. All good so far. It was only later when I put the body back on the chassis and moved it that I was able to get a good look at what the lights looked like. A mate was there with me at the time helping me put the body on. We both stepped back, looked at the lights and then at each other and shook our heads. Lights didn’t look good at all, just wrong, big time. Eventually I settled on lights from a Suzuki Grand Vitara. They were almost the same size as Nagari lights but with slightly larger rounded corners and were set into the body. I reckon they were perfect for a Mk7 if you didn’t have/don’t want to use, the original Toyota lights. John has since changed them for surface mount rectangular LED lights. Have a nice one. Keep up the good work with the blog. Thats first on the list every morning. Peter Marr Technical Assistant

No comments: