Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Gutsy little cars.

You get a bit tired of people peering into the shed and laughing at the Lloyd and suggesting that it probably wouldn't be capable of pulling the skin off a fritz (devon). Just proves how little they know.
This Lloyd-Hartnett was an entrant in the 1958 Ampol Trial.
It placed 72nd and second in class. The class winner was the other Lloyd in the field which came 66th overall. The class wins may be less significant than the outright placings because I don't recall too many other entrants in the under 750cc class. There was another Borgward product entered in the form of a Goliath but it didn't make the distance. But neither did an Austin, a Chrysler Royal, a Hillman, a Humber, a Jaguar, a Mercedes, an MG, a Peugeot, a Porsche, a Simca, a Skoda, a Vauxhall and a Willys in addition to 2 Citroens, 3 Fiats, 9 Fords, 9 Holdens, 2 Morrises, 7 Renaults, 4 Vanguards and 14 Volkswagens.

2 comments:

degruch said...

Having had my hand slammed in the door of my old one, I can testify that they are built like tiny little tanks!

Anonymous said...

That’s my dad, and I have the trophy